Friday, August 29, 2008

My guitar specs

After 8+ long years of wait, my order of a Ruck guitar is finally close to becoming a reality!

You can only imagine the excitement with which I opened up the large brown envelope which stated that the letter was from a "Mr Robert Ruck" from the United States.

In it, Robert Ruck informed me that my guitar should be constructed in early 2009. Meanwhile, there are quite a number of options which I had to decide on, depending on my preferences and obviously - my budget!

If this had happened just 3 months back, I'd have gone for the "kill" - basically taking up all the added options, which would include:

1) Guitar case: Karura - prob cost about USD1,000
2) Guitar tuners: Rodgers, of course! - another USD1,000
3) Guitar top wood: Composite top (according to Bob, this is made up of 3 layers of cedar!) - USD3,000
4) Guitar finish: French Polish - USD500
5) Guitar side wood: Madagascar wood (supposedly gives a sweeter sound) - USD800
6) Guitar construction (ie. the guitar itself) - USD7,750

If you add all these all... it comes to a whopping.... USD14,050 !!

Of course I am aware that there is a certain "investment value" in such an instrument. If sold in the guitar dealer shops (mostly the US sites), this would probably cost upwards of USD25,000. But the thing is, I most likely would never sell this guitar (for as long as I play the classical guitar, that is!)

Fast forward to the present...

With the impending gargantuan amounts of money needed to fund our new home (renovations, furnishings.. etc, not to mention the scarily large mortgage loan we are going to be weighed down by), I have to face up to reality (sob..sob).

Still, there ARE some 'upgrades' which would have to be done, in order to make my long wait worth its while!

*gleefully rubbing hands *

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home