Monday, July 30, 2007

Post-it@Youth.SG: Is this Art?


They say a picture paints a thousand words.

I think more than "words" (which, as we all know, can be twisted, interpreted and mis-interpreted in more than a thousand ways ), a picture evokes emotional and feelings.

So what kinds of feelings does this picture evoke?



* Unfortunately, I can only use words to tell you what I feel, so it'll have to do.

The word - "Trust", comes to my mind. The complete, unbiased and unconditional kind of trust that the little polar bear cub (his name is Knut, by the way) has for his caregiver. Something which, sadly, only seem to exist in the human context, between a new-born baby and its mother.

It is interesting that when I showed the exact same picture to some of my colleagues, and asked for their thoughts on the image and the feelings evoked, the answers I got was so varied and diverse!

Someone said,"A shoulder to cry on". (I thought that was very apt!)

Another one offered, "Contentment". "Love" really does seem a popular choice, as recently shown by a surveyed conducted by the local papers.

But the funniest one came from this guy, "Yummy... Lunch!". (I wonder which way he meant? haha!)

Anyway, what has all these to do with Art, you ask? Well, here's Wikipedia's definition of "art":

Art, in its broadest meaning, is the expression of creativity or imagination, or both.

So I say, this photo is a great piece of art. Don't you agree? :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home