Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Tomorrow.
The Genus - Euphony concert at LT13.

I rather look forward to this concert. Really... from the point of view of a classical guitar (Niibori instruments in particular) afficionado, Genus-Expose arguably represents the best ensemble group in Singapore at the moment. In fact, not just in S'pore, but possibly in the SE Asia region even...

Several of the players are considered my peers, as we have played together in the Genus orchestra in the past years, and a few are currently members in the quartet/quintet I am involved in. Other than some folks in the TPGC, i cant think of many others who can claim to have as much guitar ensemble experience as these folks.

Still, I have decided not to participate in Expose, at least for the time being. One of the primary reason being time constraints. My priority, in terms of giving of my time and effort (to coordinate and organise practices and to source for performances) - undoubtedly lies with my quartet Guitaresque. Following that, I am still hoping against all hopes - that Masak - or whatever name it might mutate into - will make a "comeback", in time to come.

Playing in Expose makes me feel like playing in the old Genus orchestra... all over again. After some time, I find myself asking, "Am I joining this group for the sake of playing in an ensemble, OR I'm here because some of my good friends are here as well? "

Both seemed like good enough reasons for me to stay commited. Yet... I enjoy playing ensemble in a more intimate group (ie. a more compact, smaller, yet more focused group) rather than a larger, mixed group. That is why I really love the quartet sessions, and similarly - the Niibori quintet sessions too.

As for enjoying the company of friends..., lately I find myself a little 'alienated' from the younger members of the group. They too, don't seem to have much to say to me, vice versa. Those whom I am really comfortable with... not surprisingly are also the same fellas who play in the quartet/quintet setup with me.

As a player in the group, my expectations for the group becomes that much higher than it would be, were I but a listening audience.

希望越大,失望也就越大.

我想,做个开心,释怀的观众支持者, 胜于做个患得患失,不得志的表演者.

GENUS EXPOSE - 加油吧!

7 Comments:

Blogger Wai said...

Actually was just thinking about Masak practices earlier today. Can't think of any other time to have it except for saturdays before Expose, which I guess will have to wait till the workshop sessions are over after this couple of weeks. So then Expose can resume at a later timeslot, and Masak can have practices before Expose...

Thoughts?

2:43 AM  
Blogger 北海道的大黑熊 said...

what's this about "workshop sessions"?

11:06 AM  
Blogger Wai said...

We're working on the pieces with the schoolkids. There will be sectionals with them this saturday. And maybe next as well.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Yen said...

even though i think that you should join expose to "beef up" the ensemble, i do understand why you're not really keen. I also feel the same way.

the funny thing is, we're not even helping genus juniors, yet we're helping the school kids.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Yen said...

even though i think that you should join expose to "beef up" the ensemble, i do understand why you're not really keen. I also feel the same way.

the funny thing is, we're not even helping genus juniors, yet we're helping the school kids...

1:17 PM  
Blogger 北海道的大黑熊 said...

haha.. good point, Yen. Maybe Owls has given up on the Genus juniors liao.. after giving Sectionals to some hapless chaps last year.. hahaha!

6:06 PM  
Blogger Wai said...

Hm in a way we do help them, just by being there week after week, with suggestions for fingerings and other tips, although the intent is not clearly defined in the way that it is for these specially arranged sessions that are just a one off thing with the schools.

Anyway, what's this I hear about mini ensemble this saturday? Caught me completely offguard... Presuming you'd know about it since you're conducting "remedial sessions".

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home